Election Officers serve during Primaries and General Elections at all voting precincts and must arrive at the polling location by 5 AM on the day of the election. They must remain there until all tasks are completed, which is often 8 PM or later. Election Officers must be administered an oath prior to serving and are required to attend training before each election. If you are interested in being considered for service, please complete the required forms and mail them to the address listed below:
Hiring Process for Election Officers
- Complete an Employment Application and Oath form and submit to the Voter Registrar.
Rockingham County Voter Registrar
20 East Gay St
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
- Human Resources will call you to schedule a convenient time (plan for a half-hour) to complete legally required paperwork:
- Bring document(s) that verify your identity and eligibility to work in the United States (i.e. Passport or Social Security Card and Driver’s License or other documents that meet I-9 requirements).
- Bring a voided check with you so that direct deposit can be set up for your paychecks.
- You’ll also complete a W-4 and a VA-4 to ensure proper tax withholding.
Thank you for your interest in serving as an Election Officer and we appreciate your assistance in completing this two-step process.