Land Disturbing Permit

Permit Requirements

An Erosion and Sediment Control Land Disturbing Permit from Rockingham County is required if land disturbance of greater than 10,000 square feet occurs or if the site is located within a greater plan of development, such as a subdivision, etc.

This permit must be obtained prior to beginning any construction or grading. Rockingham County does offer an agreement-in-lieu of a plan on single family dwellings within the county disturbing less than one acre.

For agricultural project details and exemptions, please see the Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance.

Obtain a Permit

In order to obtain a land disturbing permit, the following must be submitted to the Erosion and Sediment Control and Stormwater Management administrators:
  • A completed application
  • An approved Erosion and Sediment Control plan and narrative- Must be engineered if disturbing greater than 1 acre or 43,560 square feet
  • Permit and plan review fees
  • An assurity bond
  • An approved Stormwater Management Plan
  • A copy of the state Virginia Stormwater Management Plan (VSMP) permit registration statement (if disturbing greater than one acre) is required
  • A recorded Responsible Land Disturber (RLD)