Residents Tax Guide

Personal Property Tax Returns

All farm and business assessments must be returned. Individual assessments are no longer required. Notify the DMV of any vehicle, name, and / or address changes. A penalty of $10 or 10% of the tax due, whichever is greater, will be assessed for failing to file this return before May 1st.

Assessment of Agriculture Equipment

You will need to report all general farm machinery and equipment, poultry house equipment, etc. to the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office at (540)564-3066.

Opening a New Business

For information on opening a new business in Rockingham County contact the Community Development Department at:

Community Development Department

20 East Gay Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Ph: (540) 564-3030

Business Merchants Capital Tax

A business needs to report dollar value of inventory that is held for resale as of January 1st to the Commissioner of the Revenue by May 1st of each year. Please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office at (540)564-3064 for further information.

Business Tangible Personal Property Tax

The County of Rockingham levies a tax on tangible personal property used in a trade or business (such as furniture, fixtures, machinery and tools) located in the County on January 1st. You must file a return with the Commissioner of the Revenue by May 1st of each year. Payment is due by December 5th. Businesses must submit a depreciation schedule itemizing their personal property and/or equipment, stating the date of purchase for each item and original purchase price. Please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office at (540)564-3064 for further information.

Department of Motor Vehicles

The DMV has a facility located at 3281 Peoples Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22801. This branch processes a variety of transactions such as new vehicle registrations, address changes, titles, tag renewals and driver's license transactions. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. and Saturdays 8:00 A.M. to 12 Noon.

County Decals

Effective August 25, 2010 the Rockingham County Board of Supervisors eliminated the County decal. Decals will no longer be issued or required for display on motor vehicles, motorcycles, trailers or semi-trailers.

State Income Tax Filing

The Rockingham County Commissioner of the Revenue's office provides free local screening and processing of Virginia Income Tax returns for individuals living in the County, generating faster tax refunds. The office also offers one-on-one tax counseling and answers questions. To receive help, stop by or call the Commissioner of the Revenue's office at (540)564-3063. Federal tax returns must be completed and a copy presented before a State tax return can be prepared by this office.

Land Use Assessments

The Land Use Program is designed to preserve agriculture, horticultural, forestal land in the county. To qualify the landowner must have five contiguous acres or more of land actively devoted to agricultural or horticultural production. Forestal land must be twenty contiguous acres or more of land devoted to the growth of timber. Tax assessments under the Land Use Program are lower than those at fair market value. The program is a deferral of taxes and not a total abatement. Landowners interested in participating can obtain specific information regarding qualifications, requirements, application procedures, fees, and deadlines by contacting the Land Use Office at (540) 564-3066.

Additional Tax Information