How do I add someone or remove someone from my deed?

To make changes to ownership of property, a new deed will need to be prepared and recorded in the Clerk’s Office where the property is located. Pursuant to § 17.1-223(B), a deed conveying residential property containing not more than four residential dwelling units will state on the first page of the document that it was prepared by the owner of the real property or by an attorney licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth where such statement by an attorney shall include the name and Virginia State Bar number of the attorney who prepared the deed. We recommend seeing an attorney familiar with Virginia law to prepare the deed so that it is prepared properly.  All deeds have to meet all standards within the Code of Virginia and the Library of Virginia Recordation Standards.

Show All Answers

1. How do I add someone or remove someone from my deed?
2. How do I get a copy of my deed or other real estate document?
3. Do you require a Land Records Cover Sheet for recordings?
4. Where are documents for the City of Harrisonburg recorded?
5. My document was returned because it didn’t have an exemption code referenced. Where do I find exemption codes?
6. I received a copy of my credit report and there is a judgment listed that is not mine or a judgment is not marked paid when it has been paid. What do I do?