Request for Certified Copy of Marriage License
for licenses issued by our office:
There are several ways to request certified copies of your marriage license:
- In person at the Clerk’s Office during normal office hours, Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. Certified copies are $2.50 each. We accept cash, checks, money orders and credit cards. All credit card transactions will include a 4% surcharge. We will be able to issue a certified copy as soon as we receive the license from the officiant who performed the ceremony. The officiant has 5 days to return the license to our office per § 32.1-267(C).
- Online: Go to www.rockinghamcountyva.gov/sra.
- Accept the disclaimer. Click on Document Search - Web. Scroll to the bottom of the page to click on Marriage Search and Certified Copy Request
- Enter one of the names as it was on the application in the Either Party Name field then click Search.
- If there is a finalized date shown, you can request a copy by clicking on the shopping cart + button that appears on the far right when the cursor is on the record or you can view the record and click on the +Purchase button on the right side of the screen. If there is not a finalized date or a shopping cart icon, the license has not been returned yet. Try again later.
- The purchase window will appear, enter the # of copies you need and click on Proceed to Checkout.
- Enter Customer Information and Shipping Information and click on Place your Order to proceed to the payment screen.
- Requests received before 4:00 PM will be processed and mailed on the same day. Requests received after 4:00 PM will be processed and mailed the next business day.
- By phone - Payment must be made over the phone by credit card only. Certified copies are $2.60 each including the 4% surcharge and copies will be mailed the same day unless requested after 4:00. Copies can be requested at 540-564-3126 or 540-574-4353.
- By mail - Please provide names of the parties and date of marriage. You can mail a copy request along with payment for copies ($2.50 each per a copy) and a self-addressed stamped envelope to our office. Checks should be made payable to Clerk of Court.
Rockingham County Circuit Court
Attn: Marriage License
80 Court Square
Harrisonburg, VA 22802