- Clerk of Circuit Court
- Land Records Division
Land Records Division
The Land Records Division of the Clerk’s Office records deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, financing statements and other official documents associated with land transactions for Rockingham County and the City of Harrisonburg.
Recording Hours are 8:30AM-4:15 PM, Monday-Friday, excluding holidays.
Click on titles below to expand for more information on requirements, fees, payment and mailing, e-recording companies, parcel IDs, copy requests and frequently asked questions.
In order for a document to be recorded, it must be one that is authorized by law to be recorded in the Deed Book and it must meet certain statutory provisions. Documents that do not meet the following requirements will not be recorded and will be returned:
- Cover sheets are not required.
- Must meet all of the Recordation Standards regarding font size (9pt or larger), margins (1.5" top margin, 0.75" left, right & bottom margins), paper type, etc.
- Writings presented for recordation shall be original documents, signed and properly acknowledged. Only black or dark blue ink for signatures is acceptable.
- Any individual that will be indexed as a grantor or grantee must have their last name only either underscored or the last name must be the only part of the name written entirely in CAPITAL LETTERS. This includes trustees on certificates of satisfaction and trustees on deeds of trust as they are indexed parties.
- Correct examples: John DOE / JOHN DOE / John Doe / John DOE SMITH / JOHN DOE SMITH
- Incorrect examples: JOHN DOE / John Doe / JOHN Doe / JOHN DOE / John Doe / JOHN Doe / John DOE SMITH / John DOE SMITH / JOHN DOE SMITH / John DOE Smith / JOHN DOE Smith
- All party names must be typed. Handwritten names are not acceptable. If names cannot be typed on document, a typed cover sheet can be added.
- Parcel ID numbers/tax map numbers are required on the first page of deeds and deeds of trust and must be in proper format for indexing. This requirement does not apply for timeshare documents. See Parcel ID Info section below for more information.
- Deeds must have consideration and actual value shown on the first page, unless exemption codes are provided on first page.
- If exempt, the code section(s) under which any exemption from recordation taxes and/or clerk’s fee is claimed must be stated on first page of document. If cover sheet is provided, exemptions codes can be located on cover sheet or actual first page of document.
- The attorney or party who prepares the writing for recordation shall ensure that….(i) the social security number is removed from the writing prior to the instrument being submitted for recordation, (ii) a deed conveying residential property containing not more than four residential dwelling units states on the first page of the document the name of the title insurance underwriter insuring such instrument or a statement that the existence of title insurance is unknown to the preparer, and (iii) a deed conveying residential property containing not more than four residential dwelling units states on the first page of the document that it was prepared by the owner of the real property or by an attorney licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth where such statement by an attorney shall include the name and Virginia State Bar number of the attorney who prepared the deed, provided, however, that clause (iii) shall not apply to deeds of trust or to deeds in which a public service company, railroad, or cable system operator is either a grantor or grantee, and it shall be sufficient for the purposes of clause (iii) that deeds prepared under the supervision of the Office of the Attorney General of Virginia so state without the name of an attorney or bar number.
- Recordation fees and taxes will vary, use the Virginia Judicial System's Circuit Court Deed Calculation to help determine fees.
- If document has an oversized plat attached (larger than legal size 8.5" x 14"), please do not use the Deed Calculation site to calculate for the oversized pages as it is incorrect for our office. Add $22 for each oversized page to be recorded.
- Deeds and deeds of trust only for property located entirely within the City of Harrisonburg will be $3 less than the fee calculator shows.
- There is a $2.50 fee per paper document filed in the office. This fee does not apply to e-recordings.
- Checks can be made payable to Clerk of Court. We accept cash, checks, money orders and credit cards in office. Credit cards are subject to a 4% surcharge.
- Recordings can be mailed in with payment to the address shown in the Contact Us section on the top right. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of documents. Documents are mailed back within 24 hours of recordation or rejection. Our office will not call to notify of rejections for documents received by mail.
- If a check or money order is $0.01-$25.00 over, the overage is automatically put into excess and will not be refunded. If check or money order is over $25.00, document(s) will be returned for a new check/money order. If the check is from an individual or company that has a house account, overages will automatically be credited as an account payment.
Parcel ID numbers can be obtained by searching the City of Harrisonburg Real Estate Property Information or Rockingham County GIS.
City of Harrisonburg Info
- For the City of Harrisonburg, it is referred to as Acct #, e.g. 34 W 6, we will not accept the PID or Bill Account number.
Rockingham County Info
- For Rockingham County, it is referred to as the Parcel or Map Number, e.g. 107-(A)- L196A1, we will not accept the account number. Needs to be in proper format as shown, 107A196A1 would not be acceptable.
Requesting a Copy
There are several ways to request copies of our records from our office:
- In person at the Clerk’s Office during normal office hours, Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, excluding holidays. The Deed Room is located in the Circuit Court (old courthouse in the middle of Court Square) on the first floor to the right of the elevator. Eight public access stations are available for the public to use. Copies are 50¢ per page; we accept cash, checks, money orders and credit cards. All credit card transactions will include a 4% surcharge. Certification fee is $2.00 plus the cost of copies for the entire document being certified.
- Indexes are free. A subscription is required to view, download or print most images. See a list of images that are free to view here . There is a 15-minute subscription option for $5.20 along with monthly and yearly subscription options. Available 24/7/365. Please see the Secure Remote Access Info section below for more information
- By phone as long as:
- the caller has all the information needed to locate the document quickly. All of our records are indexed by name and book/page only. Property address cannot be used to locate records in our database. Callers should know the owner’s name or book/page for the document prior to calling. Approximate date of purchase is also helpful if there are numerous transactions under the owner’s name. You use the free indexes available on our Secure Remote Access to search for recording information, if needed.
- Payment must be made over the phone by credit card only. Copies are 52¢ per page and copies can be emailed or mailed. Certified copies must be mailed. Certification is an additional $2 fee.
- Copies can be requested at 540-564-3126.
- By mail
- Please provide owner’s name or book/page for the document requested. Approximate date of purchase is also helpful if there are numerous transactions under the owner’s name. You may need to contact our office at 540-564-3126 prior to mailing the request to determine the amount needed for payment. Checks should be made payable to Clerk of Court.
- You can mail a copy request along with payment for copies and a self-addressed stamped envelope to our office at:
Rockingham County Circuit Court
Attn: Copy Request
80 Court Square
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Secure Remote Access Info
Indexes are free to use. A subscription is required to view, download or print most images. A list of images that are free to view is here.
Click on titles below to expand for more information.
The site includes the following types of records:
- Real Estate - Land Records - Indexed from 1941-present, images are available for all. See Historical Index Search for indexes prior to 1941.
- Judgments - All active judgments are indexed and images are available for all.
- UCC/Financing Statements - All active UCCs are indexed and images are available for all.
- Marriage Licenses - All marriage records are indexed and images are available for all.
- Wills/Probate/Estates - All will/estate records are indexed and images are available for all.
- Genealogy - Images are free to view. Includes:
- Burnt Deed Books (1778-1864) - Only available by book/page. See Historical Index Search for indexes.
- Birth Records/Certificates (1862-1894, 1912-1917) - Indexed by name
- Death Records/Certificates (1870-1894, 1912-1917) - Indexed by name
- WWI Memorial Records and WWI Returned Servicemen (1918) - Indexed by name
- Historical Survey Books A-C - Only available by book/page.
- Historical Index Search is available for free to view for land records that are not indexed individually under Real Estate-Land Records (pre-1941) or Genealogy Burnt Deed Books (1778-1864) and the book/page can be used to locate the document from the index page.
Indexes are free to use. To view, download or print most images, a subscription is required. A list of images that are free to view is available here.
- 15 Minutes (Quick Search) - $5.20 total
- A Month - $26.00 total
- A Year - $312.00 total
Totals shown includes credit card surcharge.
To Purchase a Subscription for our Secure Remote Access:
- Go to our Secure Remote Access site and accept the disclaimer.
- Register as a new user or log in if you have a login on the site already
- Accounts are for individual use only and sharing is a violation of the user agreement.
- Once you submit your information, you will receive an email to activate your account.
- When your account has been activated, log in and purchase a subscription from the Home page.
- The Subscriber Agreement for Secure Remote Access will need to be reviewed and acceptance is shown by purchasing a subscription from the options at the bottom of the page.
- If you do not accept the terms of the subscriber agreement, do not purchase a subscription.
- Subscriptions can be purchased at any time - 24/7/365
- Enter your Customer Information, Shipping Information (Mailing Address) and click Place Your Order to continue to the payment screen.
- If you are using a firm/company credit card, the information entered on this page should match the credit card billing information.
- Once payment is complete, go to the Home page to start your search.
- The time/days remaining in your subscription is always visible on the blue bar at the top of the page under the seal. You will not receive any other notice of expiration. If the time remaining is not showing, your subscription has expired and a new subscription can be purchased at any time.
Exempt access is permitted for official business use only. Copies from the site are for internal use only and cannot be given to the general public for any reason.
To request exempt access to our Secure Remote Access, you will need to:
- Register as a new user to create a new account.
- Complete the last page of the application and sign in front of a notary or a deputy clerk.
- Return the completed application to our office. You can:
- scan it as PDF and submit it online.
- return it in person or have it dropped off at our office
- return by mail. Mailing address shown in the Contact Us section on the top right.
- Once your application is received and approved, we will notify you that a subscription has been added to the account you created so that you can view images.
- All exempt subscriptions are set to expire in January of the following year. If you no longer need access at any point, please let our office know so that we can disable your account. If your email changes, please let us know as you will be emailed in January for renewal for that year, you will not need to do anything to keep your access. A bounced email will result in account being made inactive.