Clerk of Circuit Court
***EFFECTIVE MARCH 18, 2020 THROUGH APRIL 6, 2020, THE CLERK’S OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC. a reduced staff will be working 8:30am-12:00pm, monday-friday for ’mission critical’ services***
Below is more information on what the Clerk’s Office is handling during this time. There are dropboxes in the lobby of the Circuit Court, please note that the sheriff’s deputies at the front door cannot answer any questions about filings. Attorney/Mailboxes have been moved to the lobby and are accessible when the building is open. If you have a question that is not answered below, please contact us anytime or call 540-564-3111 between the hours of 8:30am-12:00pm prior to coming to the courthouse. For EMERGENCY ONLY calls after hours, you can call 540-383-6111.
- Criminal Filings: There is a Criminal Filings dropbox in the lobby, open 8:30am-12:00pm Monday-Friday. Filings will be processed daily.
- Fines & Costs Payments: Payments are encouraged to be made online at: www.rockinghamcountyva.gov/pay. Checks and money orders only can be dropped off in an envelope in the Criminal Filing dropbox in the lobby, 8:30am-12:00pm Monday-Friday. Name and case number must be on the envelope. Mailed payments will also be processed daily.
- OCRA: For local attorneys and their agents or other members of exempt agencies, if you do not already use Officer of the Court Remote Access to view civil, criminal and miscellaneous filings, please contact our office for the proper application for access now, if needed. This is not available to the general public.
- Civil Filings: There is a dropbox in the lobby, 8:30am-12:00pm Monday-Friday. All filings must be accompanied with the appropriate filing fee, if applicable. Go to www.rockinghamcountyva.gov/civil for more information on each filing type on the left side to check what is required at the time of the filing. E-filing is also available and mail will be processed daily.
- One-Time Civil Celebrants: If you have been authorized to perform a ceremony in which the date has been changed, please contact our office or call 540-564-3114 or 540-564-3113 between 8:30am-12:00pm Monday-Friday. The court can issue an amended order once you know the new date for the ceremony.
- Concealed Handgun Permits:
- New application - with the requirement for a photo ID to be presented per the Code of Virginia, we are not able to process new applications at the time. If this changes, we will update here.
- Renewals - See information under Renewal Applicants, application along with supporting documentation with applicable fee by check or money order can be left in the Civil filings dropbox in the lobby, 8:30am-12:00pm Monday-Friday, or mailed in.
- Change of Address Request - Form, payment by check or money order, self-addressed stamped envelope and old permit can be left in the Civil filings dropbox in the lobby, 8:30am-12:00pm Monday-Friday, or mailed in. You will not be able to carry concealed until your new permit is received.
- Land Records: There is a Recording Tray in the lobby, 8:30am-12:00pm Monday-Friday, for land records to be recorded, along with a tray for pick up, if an envelope is not included. We partner with four vendors for e-recording of land records. E-recordings will be processed 8:30am-4:30pm Monday-Friday. Mail will be processed within 24 hours of receiving it.
- Secure Remote Access: Our land records are available at www.rockinghamcountyva.gov/sra. Indexes are available for free using the Public Login option. New subscriptions to view images can be purchased on the site 24 hours a day.
- Probate: We are unable to schedule probate appointments during the closure. If you have an urgent probate matter during this time, please contact our office or call 540-574-4320 between 8:30am-12:00pm for guidance. If you have a probate filing that does not require an appointment, such as filing a real estate affidavit, it can be dropped off with the applicable fee by check or money order in the Deeds Recording Tray in the lobby, 8:30am-12:00pm Monday-Friday.
- Notary Commissions: We are unable to give oaths for notary commissions pickups during the closure.
- From the Notary and Authentications Division of the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s office: Due to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), and the altered hours of many circuit court divisions, our Notary division has extended the pickup date for commissions printed and mailed to the circuit courts between Monday, January 13, 2020 and Monday, February 24, 2020. Approved notaries in this date range now have until Friday, May 1, 2020 to claim their commission from the circuit court chosen on the application.
- Marriage Licenses: We are unable to issue marriage licenses at the time due to being unable to give the oath to the applicants. We suggest contacting other local clerk’s offices to see if they are still open to the public. A license can be acquired at any clerk’s office and is valid for ceremonies anywhere in the Commonwealth. Please note that licenses are valid for 60 days.
The Rockingham County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office serves Rockingham County and the City of Harrisonburg.The Clerk’s Office is responsible for:
- Filing of all civil suits
- Docketing and filing of criminal actions
- Recording real estate records and plats
- Issuing marriage licenses
- Probating wills
- Processing notary public applications
- Recording military discharge forms (DD-214s)
Many of your questions regarding the services that my office performs may be answered on this website. Please find the appropriate division to the left for more detailed information for that division or service. If at any time additional information is needed, please do not hesitate to contact the Clerk's Office.
For contact information organized by department, please use our Staff Directory.
|Photo by Branden Thompson