Bicycle Advisory Committee
Advise the Board of Supervisors in the promotion, planning, and implementation of bicycle and other non-motorized transportation in Rockingham County.
Organizational Goal Foster a healthy community by supporting and encouraging pedestrian, bicycle, and non-motorized vehicles as viable modes of transportation through infrastructure improvements, intermodal connectivity, and education and enforcement programs.
The Organizational Structure, which was approved by the Board of Supervisors, establishes the composition, terms and duties of the membership.
Meetings are held every other month. Additional meetings may be called as needed. Meetings are held in the Community Room of the County Administration Building, 20 E Gay St, Harrisonburg, VA 22802.
The Rockingham County Advisory Committee consists of voting members representing varied skill levels of cycling and non-motorized transportation in the community. This committee is supplemented by non-voting advisory members.
Greg "Yogi" Gillette
|Non-Voting Advisory Members|
|Rhonda Cooper, County Staff Facilitator
||Burgess Lindsey, VDOT Liaison
Annual Work Plan Upon the adoption of the Rockingham Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan on October 26, 2016, the RBAC membership began preparing a draft Annual Work Plan that develops the strategies of the Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan into actionable items for which the RBAC can be responsible. The RBAC considers the Work Plan to be a living document that must be responsive to its Board-approved mission and organizational goal. The draft Annual Work Plan will be presented to the Planning Commission on April 4, 2017, and is expected to be forwarded to the Board of Supervisors for action on April 26, 2017.
Links to Other Resources
Links are provided for convenience only and are not endorsements of the organizations or the information provided. Regarding any route maps or route directions, drive before you ride to determine whether a bicycle route is suitable for your skill level.
Local and Regional Plans
- Rockingham County Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan
- City of Harrisonburg Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan
- HRMPO Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan
- Central Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Plan
- Central Shenandoah Valley Greenway Plan
Local Bicycle Resources and Events
- Bike the Valley – Includes bicycle maps for the Central Shenandoah Valley region.
- Shenandoah Valley Bicycle Coalition – An organization that is dedicated to cyclists of all abilities and interests. Includes links to local bicycle shops, local bicycle events and weekly ride schedules.
Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety
- Alliance for Biking and Walking - North America's coalition of local and state bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organizations where they create, strengthen and unite advocacy leaders who are transforming their communities into great places to bike and walk.
- Beginners Guide to Safe and Healthy Cycling - A website that offers general traffic safety and repair and maintenance information.
- Bicycle Safety Awareness - A collection of learning opportunities on topics that directly impact the bicycle safety, security, and quality of life in your community.
- Bike Virginia - A non-profit organization that works through programs, projects, and activities to inspire more human powered recreation and transportation on bike.
- DriveSmartVirginia - A non-profit dedicated to educating drivers and raising traffic safety awareness in order to save lives and reduce injuries on the roadways of Virginia.
- League of American Bicyclists - The League of American Bicyclists has been working to improve the quality of bicycling in America almost as long as there have been bicycles. Includes links to bike education and bike advocacy.
- National Center for Safe Routes to Schools – Programs, led by sustained efforts from parents, schools, community leaders and local, state, and federal governments, to improve the health and well-being of children by enabling and encouraging them to walk and bicycle to school.
- Safety and Rules of the Road – Includes tips to help ensure safe and legal bicycle operations.
- Virginia Safe Routes to Schools - Assists interested localities and schools in the development of plans, activities, and infrastructure improvements to make bicycling and walking to school a safe and appealing transportation option for students in kindergarten through eighth grade.
To Report a road problem that requires immediate attention, call VDOT at
or online at http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/citizen.asp