How Do I
Click to Home

Go To Search
Rockingham County
Administration Center
20 E. Gay St.
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Name Change After Marriage
Name Change After Marriage
The first step in changing your name after getting married is to get a certified copy of the license from the Clerk’s Office that issued it. Certified copies are $2.50 and are available when the license is returned to our office by the officiant. After getting a certified copy, you will need to notify the following to change your name:
  • Social Security - Complete Social Security Administration Form SS-5 and either mail it or take it to your nearest Social Security office. Include a certified copy of your marriage record. There is no fee for filing Form SS-5. You should receive your new Social Security card within four weeks, and your Social Security number will not change.
  • Driver's License - Bring your driver's license, Social Security card, and a certified copy of your marriage record the Department of Motor Vehicles office nearest you (if you are a Virginia resident).
  • Voter Registration - Notify your local registrar's office of your name change.
  • Personal Property - Notify your local Commissioner of the Revenue's Office of your name change within 30 days.
  • Address Changes - If you will also be changing your address, do not forget to notify the Registrar's Office, Commissioner of the Revenue's Office, the U.S. Postal Service and the Internal Revenue Service with IRS Form 8822.